Windows has always had a slew of essential programmes that we enjoy, and this hasn’t changed. Furthermore, with the introduction of Windows 10 and its Universal apps platform, the number of Windows 10 applications is increasing at an exponential rate. Even the most popular chat and social media applications, such as Facebook, Twitter, and WhatsApp, among others, have made the transition.
Because a laptop or computer is more likely to be shared among family members, you should take extra precautions to safeguard your information. While Windows 10 has a built-in App Locker service, it is only available in the Windows Enterprise and Education editions of the operating system. Going forward in this article, we will discuss app lock for PC Windows 10.
We will also discuss the best app lock for PC download.
App Lock For PC Download: My Lockbox
The My Lockbox programme, which is available for Windows 10, may be used to lock applications. As a result, we will see how to download app lock for PC:
- When you initially download app lock for PC, then launch My Lockbox, the programme will prompt you to choose a password that will be used to secure the applications installed on your computer.
- You may also provide a password hint and an email address when you download this app lock for Windows PC, which can assist you in recovering passwords if you forget them.
- After that, you may choose the folder you want to secure and click “Ok.” You may choose the folder in which the application or programme that you wish to lock is installed from this menu.
- As a general rule, Windows software is installed in C:/ProgramFiles or ProgramFiles (x86), so you can simply go to that location and identify the programme you wish to lockdown. You may even choose the Program Files folder to lock down all of the programmes that are included inside it.
- After that, both the folder and the programme will be locked. As a result, if you attempt to access the programme from any location on Windows, you will see an error message stating that you do not have the necessary rights.
- The “Unlock button” is located in the My Lockbox control panel and may be used to unlock an app. Because the My Lockbox app will need you to enter a password in order to unlock it, not everyone will be able to access it.
- Furthermore, the programme demands the password even when you are attempting to remove it, which is a very convenient feature of the software.
- My Lockbox is accessible in a free version, however, it is unfortunately somewhat limiting since you can only lock one folder at a time with it. You will need to purchase the complete edition ($29.95) if you want to be able to lock an infinite number of folders.
- While My Lockbox is a reliable app locker, you may also experiment with another interesting app lock for Windows PC.
Best App Lock For PC Windows 10
These are the best folder lock app for PC:
- Folder Guard
Despite the fact that we already discussed Folder Guard in depth while discussing the various methods of password protecting folders in Windows 10, it is worth mentioning again here. This is due to the fact that the software allows you to lock applications as well. You may use My Lockbox to lock down folders where a piece of software has been installed, preventing access to those files from any shortcuts.
It also demands a password when you want to remove it, further increasing the security of the system. Some individuals may like Folder Guard even more than FileVault since it allows them to specify various passwords for different folders and applications. Folder Guard is the best folder lock app for PC.
- GiliSoft EXE Lock
GiliSoft, as the name implies, allows you to encrypt executable EXE programme files, often known as software and applications. The programme performs well because, in contrast to other software, it allows users to unlock an app with a password as soon as the app is opened, rather than having to go to the locker app and unlock applications from inside the app.
GiliSoft, in addition to providing password security for applications, also protects users against viruses that attempt to change the system. Despite the fact that GiliSoft EXE Lock is provided as a free trial, it is fundamentally ineffective due to the fact that it has a predefined password that anybody can readily decipher. To utilise GiliSoft’s app locker software, you’ll need to purchase the complete edition ($19.95), which is available for purchase here. This is one of the best folder lock app for PC.
- Smart-X AppLocker
If you are searching for a simple app locker that allows you to restrict access to certain applications from youngsters, the Smart-X AppLocker programme should be sufficient. The programme is rather simple to use, and you can lock applications with relative simplicity.
It comes pre-loaded with a list of applications that can be locked, but you may add more by just inputting the names of their EXE files. It is simple to use and locks applications with simplicity, however, it is not very secure, since nearly anybody can uninstall or access it in order to open the applications that have been locked.
Overall, we suggest using the app only if your locking requirements are straightforward. It is one of the best app lock download for PC.
Use Windows 10 Parental Controls
The parental control feature in Windows 10 may be used to restrict access to certain applications (or websites) for a particular user account belonging to a member of your family. However, there is a catch: you will not be able to restrict certain applications on the account until the user has actually used them for some time.
For the most part, if you have a kid user account and you maintain track of your children’s actions, you can see the applications and games they are using and then you can ban the apps and games that you don’t want them to be using.
If you are alright with this, you can learn more about how to set up and configure Windows 10 parental controls on our page on how to set up and customise Windows 10. It is one of the best app lock download for PC.
Use Group Policy To Disable Apps On Windows 10
If you’re using Windows 10 Pro or Enterprise, you can also use Group Policy to restrict access to certain programmes on your computer. Here’s how it’s done:
- Press Windows+R and type ‘gpedit.msc’ into the Run box, then press Enter. The Group Policy Editor will be launched as a result of this action.
- Select ‘User Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> System’ from the drop-down menu.
- Select ‘Don’t execute specific Windows apps’ from the drop-down menu.
- Select ‘Enabled’ from the drop-down menu and then click on ‘Show’.
- Type in the names of the programmes you wish to restrict access to. It is necessary to provide the names of the executable files.
- Select ‘Apply’ from the drop-down menu.
- Click on the ‘Ok’ button.
Those applications that you’ve identified will now be disabled on your computer and will not be able to be started. This isn’t quite app locking, but it is a built-in feature on your Windows 10 computer that you may use to restrict access to certain programmes.
Additionally, if you are running Windows 10 Home, gpedit will not be available to you. Now, we will see the major advantages of app lock download for PC.
Advantages Of App Lock Download For PC
- Developers place a high premium on the safety of their products. They believe that just locking and unlocking applications is insufficient, thus they permitted the production of backups. This is something that almost no internet tool provides. You will not need two separate pieces of software: one for encrypting and decrypting files, and another for backing up your data. All of this is possible with Free App Lock.
- The developers felt that there was no need to charge money for installing Free App Lock since locking applications in order to preserve information and time is already a highly vital activity. You may expect to get excellent service without having to pay any needless costs.
- It is really simple to learn how to encrypt an application. It simply takes three steps, and you can repeat the procedure as many times as you want with as many applications as you want to keep locked away from family, friends, or a romantic partner as you like.
- Free App Lock is the only programme that allows you to lock and unlock not only EXE files, but also internet browsers, media players, social networks, games, and other applications. While there are a few choices available on the market that need you to install a locking app for each kind of file, App Lock is the only one that completely eliminates this requirement.
- It is not necessary to open the primary interface of this programme every time you wish to encrypt an application. Using this programme, you may lock and unlock applications without having to spend valuable time or RAM on your computer by just pressing the right button of the mouse and showing the menu of choices that appears.
- What seemed to be impossible is now entirely possible: you can lock Free App Lock, as well as other apps. There is no other programme that accomplishes this. For you to be comfortable at any time, we’re making an extra effort to ensure your safety. There is almost no likelihood that you will feel in danger.
Secure Yourself With App Lock For PC
The software listed above should be enough for your app locking requirements, and it should ensure that no one has access to your private information or is able to operate in many applications and software programmes. As an alternative, you may also utilise Windows 10 parental controls, but they are ineffective if you want to restrict access to applications on your own user account. We hope this article on app lock for PC helped you!